Re: [coldsync-hackers] removable media support

On Wed, Jan 23, 2002 at 10:58:32AM -0500, Andrew Arensburger wrote:
> 	In DLP (the protocol used in syncing), every request that
> deals with databases has to specify the memory card on which the
> database is found. I've only seen Palms with one memory card (card
> #0), so I've never been able to do anything nontrivial with this.
> 	It's not impossible that your memory stick will show up as
> card #1. Play around with the call to DlpReadStorageInfo() in
> "src/spalm.c", and see what the returned value of 'more' is (more
> importantly, see if it changes depending on whether your memory stick
> is inserted or not). Also, try redefining CARD0 in
> "include/pconn/pconn.h" to some nonzero value, and see if ColdSync
> finds any databases.

Interesting. My initial plan was to use a USB Trace Viewer to watch
what happens during a a sync under win98, then do it again but install
something to the memory stick. Diff the results, etc etc.

I know there are more variables involved than what I mentioned above,
but thats the rough idea :)

Unfortunatly I havn't had the time to try this out, but hopefully
this weekend I should have a few spare cycles to play with this.

> 	This may or may not work, but it's worth a shot. If it works,
> then a fair amount of code will need to be reworked to take advantage
> of this (databases will no longer be uniquely identified by their
> name; you'll also need to include a memory card number, like the drive
> letter under MS-DOS).

Thanks for the insight :)

--
Adam McDaniel