Re: [coldsync-hackers] Some testing/research about NetSync and ColdSync operation

On Sun, May 27, 2001 at 11:33:58PM -0400, Alex Tronin wrote:
> 2) If I enter just Primary PC Name (host name) but no IP address, no Syncing
> happened :-(
> I did packet capturing and found that reason is simple -  Desktop HotSync
> does the following - it resolves domain name of the Primary PC and then
> starts TCP connection on port 14238 right away.
> ColdSync, for sure, waits wake-up UDP packet on 14237 and ignores incoming
> TCP 14238 connection.
> I think ColdSync logic has to be redone slightly - may be easiest thing
> would have UDP listener as a separate process ?
> We still don't know what this misterious UDP exchange - may be is that Palm
> Name Resolution Protocol ?

	Interesting. This might involve a redesign of daemon mode for
the network stuff.
	Also, it might make sense to have a separate UDP listener in
any case. For instance, if a Palm has a network name or an IPv4
broadcast address as its primary PC, that might mean "send a wakeup
packet to this broadcast address and ask for a sync server." Then you
could have one UDP listener per network, and have it redirect
everything to the central sync server. Obviously not a big deal for
Joe Average home user, but it might be cool in a large environment.

--
Andrew Arensburger                      This message *does* represent the
arensb@ooblick.com                      views of ooblick.com