Re: [coldsync-hackers] Trouble syncing with the Sony Clie PEG-T615C

On Tue, Feb 12, 2002 at 09:35:59AM -0500, Jeremy Hankins wrote:
> Adam McDaniel <adamm@psynch.com> writes:
> >> successfully syncing with kernel 2.4.17?  How about with a usbserial
> >> module v1.4, or a visor module v1.5?  Or with a PEG-T615C?
> >
> > Uhh.. how are you getting the version numbers for usbserial, visor?
>
> >From the kernel log output:
>
> Feb  9 11:28:42 wasp kernel: usbserial.c: USB Serial Driver core v1.4
>
> and:
>
> Feb  9 11:28:42 wasp kernel: visor.c: USB HandSpring Visor, Palm m50x, Sony Clie driver v1.5

Ahh..ic, mine matches up with yours, obviously considering we have the same
kernel. I am on sony's developer's list with access to their roms. Later on
today I'll try downloading the T615C rom image and try hotsyncing through
that.

This might be a hardware issue, I assume your working windows machine is
physically a seperate machine from your linux one? If that's the
case, there might be a hardware releated issue with the usb ports.

Do you have any other usb devices to test under the linux machine?

Better yet, do you know anyone else with a machine that has linux/usb support?
to test your clie on other hardware...

> Perhaps.  I was starting to think it was a kernel issue, and was going
> to try an older kernel to see if that solved the problem.  But if
> you're using 2.4.17, I guess the next thing to do is a hard reset of
> the Clie.  The annoying thing is that I'll have to track down a copy
> of my address book db.  Currently the only copy is in the Clie (from
> one of the times the sync worked -- I deleted the original out of
> stupidity), and, possibly, on my windows partition somewhere, since I
> have synced there.

You may be able to find a cheap 8 meg memory stick to back up some of
your databases onto, before you do the hard reset. You'll need a
file management program though. I would recommend Filez or McFile.

One other option, is that you can mount the memory stick in your clie
as a usb-storage device in linux. Very useful way to syncing to grab
data from your palm/vice versa.

> Hrm.  I just checked, and it looks like the address book is stored in
> some kind of processed form, I can't just copy it back to linux.
> Anyone know a way to make windows reconstitute a pdb file from the
> address.dat file it has?  Or is my only choice to figure out how to
> tell windows to do a restore, and hope it does the right thing?
> *sigh*  I didn't need that 3-years-worth of addresses anyway.....

No idea... I dont use windows :)

--
Adam McDaniel
Infrastructure Technology Consultant