Re: [coldsync-hackers] Hotsync proxy to coldsync ...

On Mon, Nov 05, 2001 at 12:53:07PM -0500, JD Smith wrote:
> I've always fancied (in ~/.palm/backup):
> % rsync -e ssh --progress -Cuavz othermachine:.palm/backup/ .
> % coldsync -F
> % rsync -e ssh --progress -Cuavz . othermachine:.palm/backup/

	True, but rsync (or rdist, with which I'm more familiar)
doesn't know anything about PDB records, does it? So it can't
distinguish between a record added on host A, and the same record
deleted on host B. Hence, you have to be careful to run rsync manually
before syncing with the Palm.
	All of this is fine if you remember to do it, but in an ideal
world, I'd also like to have a more fire-and-forget method of syncing.

> For small data sets
> like Palm dumps though, these syncs really fly (e.g. faster than
> fast-syncing the Palm when used over a 28Kb modem).
>
> For a nice whitepaper describing the algorithm, see
> http://rsync.samba.org/rsync/tech_report/

	Thanks. This could be useful.

--
Andrew Arensburger                      This message *does* represent the
arensb@ooblick.com                      views of ooblick.com