Re: [coldsync-hackers] Hotsync proxy to coldsync ...

On Thu, Nov 01, 2001 at 07:21:26PM +0100, Johan Van den Brande wrote:
> I'm using coldsync in a networked environment, i.e. doing a network sync
> to coldsync
> from a windows (sorry) PC.

	Are you actually doing this, or are you just hypothesizing? If
the former, then I'd be interested in hearing how well it works. I
have a shortage of Windows machines to test with.

> It is a all-or-nothing situation. If I want
> to sync my PIM
> conduits I have to do a normal hotsync, when hotsyncing a corporate app
> that talks to
> a database, I use the netwync to a linux machine running coldsync.
>
> Now, I was thinking about a sort of hotsync proxy that redirects the
> sync of one database to
> a networked coldsync linux, all the other databases are synced to local
> conduits...
>
> Is this possible?

	Hm. Since it's just ones and zeros, it's _possible_, but I
don't think it'd be easy. You'd have to write a HotSync manager
conduit for the databases that you want to sync over the network and
somehow convince it to talk to a network HotSync manager (ColdSync) on
a remote machine. In effect, you'd have to have this conduit
impersonate (or emulate) a Palm just like your real one, but with only
a subset of the databases: it's the daemon (ColdSync or HotSync
manager) that decides which databases get synced and how, and you
don't want the remote ColdSync to sync everything.
	Since ColdSync is supposed to be compatible with HotSync
manager, from your Windows machine's point of view, it should matter
whether it's talking to a Unix box or a Windows box. So your best bet
would be to look around and see if anyone has run across this
situation in an all-Windows environment and has already written a
conduit to do this forwarding.
	If not, then you'll need to write a HotSync manager conduit.
But if you're going to be doing that anyway, why not keep your life
simple and write a conduit that Does The Right Thing in the first
place? That is, if you want to sync your Address Book with the
corporate LDAP server, don't forward it to ColdSync on a remote
machine, talk to the LDAP server directly.

	Sorry I couldn't give you a better answer.

--
Andrew Arensburger                      This message *does* represent the
arensb@ooblick.com                      views of ooblick.com