Re: [coldsync-hackers] coldsync install and perl

On Sun, Apr 22, 2001 at 04:21:46PM -0400, Matt Cashner wrote:
> ok. let me ask this question before i work any further:
> if i fix this problem and produce a patch, will it be accepted?

	I don't know. I haven't seen your patch yet. But you're
certainly encouraged to send one in.

	The way I see it, there are two design requirements that,
unfortunately, conflict.
	The first is that it should be possible to specify different
configure-time and install-time values of $PREFIX. This is useful if
you use 'stow', or if you want to make a BSD/Debian/whatever package.
This is why there's the $PREFIX-munging stuff in perl/Makefile.PL.

	The second issue is that the 'coldsync' binary and ColdSync.pm
can be seen as separate but related packages, much like gtk and the
	The simplest solution would be to add a "--without-perl"
option to 'configure', so that if the standard installation doesn't
work, you can just build the Perl stuff separately.
	A better solution, I think, would be to have separate $PREFIX
and $PERL_PREFIX variables, with $PERL_PREFIX defaulting to $PREFIX to
handle the most common case.

Andrew Arensburger                      This message *does* represent the
arensb@ooblick.com                      views of ooblick.com
		Suicidal twin kills sister by mistake!