Re: [coldsync-hackers] coldsync 2.1, USB, & FreeBSD

On Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 11:49:54PM -0500, James Widman wrote:
> coldsync works from the command line under FBSD 4-2 (sorta).
>
> First, my /etc/usbd.conf:
>
> ## Handspring visor (PDA)
>    device "Handspring Visor"
>         devname "ugen0"
>         vendor 0x082d
>         product 0x0100
>         release 0x0100
>
> ...That's it.  No "attach" statement needed for coldsync-2.1.

	Is that the entirety of your /etc/usbd.conf, or just the
entirety of the bit about the Visor?
	I ask because my usbd.conf is the one that came installed with
4.2-RELEASE, plus

	device "Handspring Visor"
		vendor 0x082d
		product 0x0100
		release 0x0100

(Note: no "attach" statement, no "devname" statement). Right after
this entry is the fallthrough entry:

	device "USB device"

Could it be that usbd is somehow getting confused by something in your
usbd.conf?

> But this block has to be in /etc/usbd.conf.  (I think this is because
>>it tells usbd to associate the visor with /dev/ugen0 so that it can be
>> read from and written to

	This is a sensible explanation, but things work for me just
fine without the Visor block.
	Did you say you were running a version of FreeBSD newer than
4.2? If so, perhaps they broke usbd or the USB subsystem?

> then from my home directory I just type:
>
> %coldsync
>
> and it *might* work.  The first 10 or so times I try it the sync goes
>>fine, provided that I hit the HotSync button in a time window of about
>> 3 or 4 seconds which starts aobut 4 or 5 seconds after I press <enter
>>> .....but it stops working after those 10 or so syncs --I have no clu
>>e why.

> Now here's the odd part:  It definitely works if several instances of
>>coldsync are run at once (more than 15 or 20 ensures a sync).  I have
>>an executable script called "~/bin/ugly" which is just 26 lines consis
>>ting of "coldsync &".  If type "ugly", I get 26 lines that say "Please
>> press the HotSync buttion", I hit it, and the visor syncs like it's s
>>upposed to.   with this trick, timing is not an issue (for the user),
>>provided that I hit the HotSync button after the coldsyncs are running
>> and before they time out at 30 seconds.
>
> whoops.....just tried this with coldsync 1.4.6; it works there too (th
>>e "ugly" trick, not the timing trick).
>
> ok; so what does all this mean?

	I know this sounds like finger-pointing, but this looks like
an OS bug or setup problem to me. You may want to try running
'usbdevs' and "echo foo < /dev/ugen0" in the "attach" script (and save
the output, naturally).
	If this is an OS or setup problem, then I would expect the
"< /dev/ugen0" or "< /dev/ugen0.2" to fail under the same conditions
as ColdSync:

	# echo foo < /dev/ugen0
	/dev/ugen0: Device not configured.

	If it's an OS problem, try asking FreeBSD-questions or
FreeBSD-hardware or something. They might tell you to submit a bug
report (I didn't see any that obviously match what you describe :-( ).

	If it's a ColdSync bug... I'm not sure. I can't reproduce the
problem, and I don't know squat about USB. So obviously if you could
poke around and see if you can find the problem, that would help.

--
Andrew Arensburger                      This message *does* represent the
arensb@ooblick.com                      views of ooblick.com