Re: [coldsync-hackers] Handspring visor and Linux

When last we left our heros, they were speaking of:
> 2 - I read in the release notes that the current version of coldsync only
> works with a usb visor under BSD.  I'm currently running RH Linux 7 with
> USB support.  Since I have kernel level usb support now, will it be
> possible to use coldsync in combonation with my visor w/o needing a serial
> cradel?

	As long as you have working USB support in your kernel, you should
be able to use ColdSync with a USB Visor under linux with no problems.  That
said, it may not be as simple as that, depending on how RedHat has things
set up.  (I'm a SuSE user, so I don't know a lot of the specifics.)  I have
gotten the following to work using the USB backport to the 2.2.x kernels,
however, I've only gotten it to work on my laptop, which has a UHCI USB
controller.  On my desktop machine, which has an OHCI controller, it locked
the machine up hard the one time I tried it, and since my desktop is also
my mail server, I didn't tinker with it beyond that.  :-/
	Anyway, as long as you have USB serial support compiled in, _with_
support for Handspring Visor (you should see this in your boot messages
or system logs:)

	usbserial.c: USB Serial support registered for Generic
	usbserial.c: USB Serial support registered for Handspring Visor

you should be able to (and the order is important here): put the visor in the
cradle, hit the sync button on the cradle, and then run coldsync, pointing it
to /dev/ttyUSB1 (put this in your .coldsyncrc:)

	listen serial {
    		device "/dev/ttyUSB1";
	}

	The order is important, because the Visor does not register itself as
a USB device until you hit the sync button (or run the sync program).  RedHat
may name the USB devices differently, you can

	ls -l /dev | grep "188,"

to find out what the USB serial devices are.  The Visor creates 2 USB serial
devices, and you'll want to use the second one that it creates.  (They'll be
0 and 1 if you don't have any other USB serial devices.  If you do, they may
be different.)

	Now, that said, there is also more information at
<http://milosch.net/visor/>, and I haven't updated my version of ColdSync
in a while, so this may or may not be accurate for newer versions.  (ISTR
someone saying there were problems with newer versions, but I haven't had a
chance to test it.  I'll see if I can do so tonight after I get home, it'll
give me something to do other than watch election returns.)

	Good luck!

								JF
--
    Justin Ferguson - Geek of All Trades - Technical Solutions Consultant
http://www.thedotin.net/jferg   <jferg@lusars.net> <JFerg at The Dot in .Net>