[coldsync-hackers] Re: Real life experiences with netsync

 On 01-Nov-02 at 19:50:15,
  Andrew Arensburger <arensb+CShackers@ooblick.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 01, 2002 at 11:58:11AM +0000, Andy Mayer wrote:
>> I am thinking of writing some conduits to allow end users to sync their
>> palms with my web applications. For this I am planning to build some
>> custom conduits and use coldsync on my web/app server with end-user
>> access through netsync.
>>
>> So I was wondering what peoples' real life experiences are with using
>> the netsync functionality of Coldsync. In particular:
>>
>> 1. How scalable is the solution for enterprise use?

>     Alessandro has touched the source a lot more recently than I
> have, so hopefully he'll contradict me, but the last time I seriously
> hacked the netsync stuff, it was more of a sketch than a rigorous
> implementation. Everything _should_ be there, but I never tested it
> under anything but trivial conditions.

Well, the netsync code still has some ugliness, but it's reported to
work quite fine. I know of at least one person, Alex Tronin,
which is doing some heavy use of it.

The only thing that scares me is that Palm (or PalmSource) could
change the protocol in the next OS version...

>     You may want to do a couple of back-of-the envelope
> calculations: take the size of a typical database to be synced, and
> figure out how long it'll take to transmit that over your network.
> Then double that time, to take into account new records sent from the
> server, and protocol overhead.

I was thinking about adding some counters to the libpconn code...

--

  - alex.