[coldsync-hackers] Re: Real life experiences with netsync

 On 01-Nov-02 at 20:36:05,
  Rob Bloodgood <robb@empire2.com> wrote:

>> So I was wondering what peoples' real life experiences are with using
>> the netsync functionality of Coldsync. In particular:

> Well, *I* got it working. The first problem was getting netsync to
> actually work as a daemon for performing netsyncs! It took awhile but I
> finally came up with a patch to make it work. It guts large portions of
> the netsync code, then installs a simple forking socket accept loop on the
> tcp socket. This works fine for local networks, but I needed to connect
> from several different states, via modem. So,

It would be fine if any new installation could use the CVS code without
patches. The CVS version should work quite fine from inetd
(i promise i'll test this feature this weekend and write down an usage
note).

> pi-csd -h palm -a 20x.13x.19x.1xx > /home/coldsync/pi-csd.log 2>&1 &

> and suddenly the PDAs could connect.  (The daemon patch strips all of the
> UDP logic for netsync-wakeup).

I think i've stripped out the UDP code from the CVS a few weeks ago.

>  I also found a patch to change the default sync dir semantics so that
> coldsync is assigned its own userid, and when a user syncs, his data goes
> into a subdir of that coldsync user's homedir:

Do you think this feature is worth to go in the CVS version, as an user
selectable option?

--

  - alex.