Re: [coldsync-hackers] Re: Problem respawning coldsync daemon

On Thu, 28 Feb 2002, Alessandro Zummo wrote:
> Actually, this is what happens:
>
> 1 - HotSync
> 2 - ColdSync closes the serial port
> 3 - little delay
> 4 - The Palm removes itself from the USB bus
> 5 - The module driver ( visor.o ) removes the device entry.
>
> The problem happens if we launch hotsync between 3 and 5, when
> the device entry has not yet been removed.
>
> Maybe we could keep the device open until visor.o removes it?
> There's a way to detect such a condition?
>
> I'd be happy to hear comments from Gred KH and Andrew Arensburger...

	Maybe I'm answering the wrong question, but here are a few
randomly-chosen paragraphs:

	I believe that the TCP and UDP connections serve different
purposes. I'm pretty sure that the UDP service is similar to RARP: a
machine talks to the UDP port and asks, "I have such-and-such Palm here.
Who should do the real sync?", and the server answers, usually by saying
"Oh, I'll do it." (At least, that's my theory, but I haven't tested it.)
	The TCP service, on the other hand, is for the actual sync itself.

	So as some people have mentioned already, the best thing to do is
to move the UDP stuff into its own daemon, much like pi-csd (but perhaps
more configurable. It would be nice if it could look up Palms in NIS or
Hesiod).
	I've started writing this (under the name 'coldnamed'), but
haven't gotten very far, so in case anyone wants to start over, be my
guest.

--
Andrew Arensburger                      Actually, these _do_ represent the
arensb@ooblick.com                      opinions of ooblick.com!