Re: [coldsync-hackers] Redux: Netsync + [X]inetd

> I would REALLY like to get this working, and I'm not afraid to hack a
little
> code to get it, but naturally I'd like to avoid re-inventing the wheel.

NetSync is in fact is rather tricky thing.
1) There are 2 ports used - UDP on 14237 and TCP on 14238
2) As I pointed earlier in this list, not always both protocols are used.
If Primary PC specified as just host name in PDA, no UDP packets are sent by
HotSync - TCP right away
If Primary PC specified as IP address or IP address AND host name - then it
sends UDP apkcest first and then makes TCP connection
Setup was as follows:
Hardware:  PDA ----serial---- WintelPC ----ethernet----------LinuxPC
Software:  PDAHotSync ---- Palm HotSync ----- ColdSync (netsync)

My resolution:
1) ColdSync in netsync mode should listen on both ports independently -
which calls to have UDP daemon like pi-csd running separately
2) running netsync from inetd.conf or xinetd.conf calls for serious code
rewriting - stdin is incoming TCP/IP connection to PDA and stdout is
outgoing TCP/IP connection - so extensive modifications are required.

So, I think best way to have coldsync running as standalone server for TCP
and another small daemon for UDP

Best,
Alex Tronin