[coldsync-hackers] Sync broke under linux 2.4

I've tried using both mandrake's rpm of coldsync 2.1.0 and compiling the
new 2.1.2, but with both I have the same problem.  Coldsync reads my
.coldsyncrc and opens /dev/palm (which is linked to /dev/ttyS0), I press
the hotsync button and both coldsync and my palmIIIxe sit there, then
coldsync gives me "slp_read: bad checksum: expected 0x3a, got 0x03."
once or not at all, then it sits there doing nothing.  I've tried
different speeds, specifying /dev/ttyS0 at the command line, etc.  An
strace shows that it reads data from the serial port, and setting -d
slp:5 -d cmp:5 gets the output below.  I tried coldsync hoping it would
work better than pilot-xfer, which worked *fine* under 2.2, but never
worked under 2.4.  It would do the same thing, sit there and wait after
telling me to press the hotsync button.  statserial shows "data set
ready" changing to 1 when i put it on the cradle, and "clear to send"
changing to one after I've pressed hotsync on the palm/cradle.  Looks
like the palm tries to connect 3 times.  Sometimes the it doesn't say
"got a header...slp_read..." but it always gives the bogus character
messages.  I would greatly appreciate any help.  I've been strugling
with this since 2.4.1.  I am willing to try whatever to get it working,
I just don't know where to start with the protocol, etc.  Thank you in
advance for your help.

$ coldsync -d slp:5 -d cmp:5
Please press the HotSync button.
===== Waiting for wakeup packet
Got bogus character 0x00
Got bogus character 0xef
Got bogus character 0xed
Got bogus character 0x03
Got bogus character 0x03
Got bogus character 0x03
Got bogus character 0x00
Got bogus character 0x00
Got bogus character 0x15
Got bogus character 0xb8
Got bogus character 0xab
Got bogus character 0x20
Got a header: 190->3, type 0, size 61421, xid 0x03, sum 0x03
slp_read: bad checksum: expected 0x3a, got 0x03.
Got bogus character 0x02
Got bogus character 0x00
Got bogus character 0x0e
Got bogus character 0xff