[coldsync-hackers] Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 21:59:18 -0600

>>On Mon, 12 Mar 2001, Akira Funahashi wrote:
>>   Andrew Arensburger <arensb+CSHackers@ooblick.com>
>>   Opening device [/dev/ugen0]
>>   Please press the HotSync button.
>>   usb read: Input/output error
>>   slp_read: read: Input/output error
>>   Error during cmp_read: (1) Error in system call or library function.
>
>	This looks like a rather low-level error. It looks as if there's
> a problem with USB on your machine. You may want to make sure that the
> ownership and permissions on /dev/ugen0 are set correctly (you may want
> to add an entry to /etc/fbtab so that /dev/ugen0 is owned by whoever is
> logged in on ttyv0).

	Not sure about this; actually, I'm in pretty much the same boat as
Akira (USB cradle, Visor Platinum, etc. -- only difference is that I have
4.2-STABLE from a CVSup from 9 days ago, but I experienced the same problems
with RELEASE).

	I'm getting the same error messages as Akira (though the exact error
mesgs I get vary with the vesion of ColdSync).
	I can't get to my computer for now, so I can't be too detailed here,
but I can tell you this much:

USB works with this kernel, at least as far as downloading from the device
is concerned.  I can't seem to get coldsync to work at all from the command
line, but if I set up this in usbd.conf:

device "Handspring Visor"
        devname "ugen0"
        vendor 0x082d
        product 0x0100
        release 0x0100
        attach "/usr/local/bin/coldsync -t usb -p /dev/ugen0 -mb
/usr/home/james/.palm/backup"

...the handspring *does* backup all of its databases into that backup dir.
From this I'm guessing that USB input and output works, because the
handspring had to get the command from the PC to do a pdb backup.  Also, my
PCI USB card shows up in dmesg:

uhci0: <VIA 83C572 USB controller> port 0xf400-0xf41f irq 15 at device 13.0
on pci0
usb0: <VIA 83C572 USB controller> on uhci0
usb0: USB revision 1.0
uhub0: VIA UHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1

....and at every push of the hotsync button, 3 lines get added at the bottom
of the dmesg. I don't have access to it now; something like :

ugen0: Handspring Visor (c)2000 attached
[something else]
ugen0: visor detached

	Besides that, I've had permissions on /dev/ugen* and /dev/usb* set
to rwxrwxrwx (what the hell; I'm the only one using it ;)

	I'll reproduce the errors and follow the instuctions you gave Akira
when I get back to my box.

> 	In addition, make sure that your kernel properly supports USB.
> I'm not sure which lines you'll need (I know next to nothing about USB),
but
> take a look at the GENERIC and LINT config files.

	All the required USB support for non-USB developers seems to be in
GENERIC:
device          uhci            # UHCI PCI->USB interface
device          ohci            # OHCI PCI->USB interface
device          usb             # USB Bus (required)
device          ugen            # Generic

> 	Does this problem occur only with ColdSync and your Visor, or
> also with other USB devices?

Can't answer that; my visor is my only USB device at present.

	That's all for now
LLAP,
	James