Re: [coldsync-hackers] Sync'ing datebooks

On Sun, 28 Jan 2001, Rich Bowen wrote:
> My understanding of things is that if I generate a completely new
> datebook pdb file and put it in my backup directory, then sync, the
> events in it will end up in my palm datebook, and the events in my palm
> datebook will get added to that pdb, and all will be well in the world.
> The two databases will trade eventst, in effect.

	This is true, assuming that either
	a) all of the records in the PDB file on the desktop are marked
"dirty", or
	b) you perform a slow sync.

> If, otoh, I put it in
> my install directory, I will install that new database, losing all the
> events on my handheld.

	This is correct.
	(Actually, if the modification number of the PDB file in the
install directory is smaller than that of the database on the Palm, then
ColdSync will refuse to sync it. This seemed like a good idea at the time,
and may yet prove to be so. At any rate, you can override this behavior
with the "-I" option.)

--
Andrew Arensburger                      This message *does* represent the
arensb@ooblick.com			views of ooblick.com