Re: [coldsync-hackers] p5-palm: problems looping through recordset and fields

On Thu, Apr 08, 2004 at 11:16:39PM -0400, Greg Gard wrote:
> perl script (what i'd like to do, but doesn't really work):
>
> use strict;
> use Palm::Raw;
>
> ...(other misc code)...
>
> #LOOP THROUGH RECORDS
> my $questionid;
> my $qnum = 0;
> foreach $rs (@{$pdb->{records}}) {
> 	my @record = unpack("a", $rs->{data});
> 	my $orgkey = $record[ORGK];
  	                    ^^^^^^
> 	my $surveykey = $record[SRVK];
  	                       ^^^^^^

> 	#LOOP THROUGH FIELDS
> 	foreach $fld (@rs){
> 		$qnum++
> 		if ($record["Q" . $qnum] != ""){
  		           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> 			my $questionid($qnum) = $record["Q" . $qnum];
  			                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> 		}
> 	}
> }

	You may want to read up on the difference between arrays and
hashes. Perl isn't PHP.
	http://www.ooblick.com/text/perl/ might prove useful.

> i like unpacking to a single hash as opposed to a statement like:
>
> my ($var1, $var2, $var3) = unpack($unpackstr, $rs->{data});
>
> because i'd like to just loop through fields testing for null. also, i was
> unable to find any documentation on how to set $unpackstr (i found this in
> your mailing list archives). where can i find documentation about how to set
> unpack str.

	How about TFM? Specifically, perlfunc(1). Look for "unpack".

--
Andrew Arensburger                      This message *does* represent the
arensb@ooblick.com                      views of ooblick.com