Re: [coldsync-hackers] {dirty} & {deleted}

On Saturday 27 March 2004 15:28, Marco van Beek wrote:
> Could anyone tell me if when you delete a record on the Palm, whether
> the {dirty} flag set at the same time and/or if I look for a "next
> Modified record" using (for example) dlp_ReadNextModifiedRec, will a
> deleted record be found?

Yes.

A record marked for archive or deletion will be treated as a modified
record. That's why the main loop of many of my sync conduits looks
something like:

		while( my $rec = $db->nextModifiedRec() ) {
			next if $rec->{'attributes'}{'deleted'}
				or $rec->{'attributes'}{'archived'}
				or $rec->{'attributes'}{'expunged'};
		}

Unless you're talking about a record deleted via the DmRemoveRecord() call
in PalmOS. There's no way to ever see a removed record.

> Also, does anyone have an opinion as to whether a sync conduit should
> look for modified handheld records first, or modified desktop records
> first?

If the sync doesn't complete, it's usually more important that records from
the handheld are copied to the server than new records copied to the
handheld. Batteries die much more often than disks.

I can't think of any other reason.

c.