Re: [coldsync-hackers] More FreeBSD, USB, and my Handspring Treo

On Sat, Feb 22, 2003 at 11:01:09AM -0600, Randy Kunkee wrote:
> I have been attempting to sync via USB to my new Handspring Treo 90.  I
> seem to be having a different problem than most.  I built 2.2.5 from the
> ports directory, then  moved to the current CVS tree in pursuit of the
> following problem: when I attempt to sync, I get a sigbus error in
> PConnection_usb.c line 640.
>
> This is inside a for-loop searching through ci.connections[].  I added
> the following statement before the loop to find out what 'i' was,
> because it seemed large:
>

>      fprintf(stderr, "UGETW(ci.numPorts) = %d\n",
>      (int)UGETW(ci.numPorts));
>
> Strange thing is that UGETW(ci.numPorts) is a pretty large number.  It's
> obvious that this is why it crashses.  And it changes a lot.  I don't
> understand the ugen driver very well, but shouldn't the value returned
> by this be somewhat consistent from run to run?
>
> Examples of values of UGETW(ci.numPorts) are 12320, 26144, 31904 just to
> give examples of 3 runs (under gdb).

	Unfortunately, the only thing I can suggest is to crawl
through the code and see what it's doing wrong. In particular, instead
of reading numPorts out of 'ci', you may want to try reading it out of
'ur', where it really gets put.

> I've attempted to build with --with-libusb, but it does not compile.
>
> The first problem I get is:
>
> gcc -Wall -ansi -pedantic -g -O2 -DHAVE_CONFIG_H  -I. -I./..
> -I./../include -I/usr/local/include -c PConnection_libusb.c
> PConnection_libusb.c:39: usb.h: No such file or directory
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /goose/src/coldsync-cvs/libpconn.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /goose/src/coldsync-cvs.
> bash-2.04$
>
> Well then, usb.h is in /usr/include/dev/usb/usb.h, so I reconfigure with
>

>      CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/include/dev/usb ./configure --with-libusb

	Actually, ColdSync has two interfaces to USB: the first is
*BSD-specific, comes as part of FreeBSD, and uses
/usr/include/dev/usb/usb.h. The second uses the more portable "libusb"
package, which is available as a port.
	Evidently you don't have libusb installed ('configure' should
have found automatically it if it was), but you've told it to use it
anyway, and to use the wrong include file.

	If you want to use "--with-libusb", you're going to have to
install the libusb port.

--
Andrew Arensburger                      This message *does* represent the
arensb@ooblick.com                      views of ooblick.com