Re: [coldsync-hackers] FreeBSD + m500 (USB) = pconn_usb_open: Can'tget information about USB device.

> jpilot and pilot-xfer works, it's not freebsd problem.

	It depends on the type of Palm you have. I've been trying to track
down what parts fail and what parts work. I had gregkh (Linux visor driver
maintainer) and joe (FreeBSD visor driver maintainer) on irc working things
out a few weeks ago. I'm not sure whatever became of that.

	At this point, it looks like Palm m5xx devices drop handshaking
randomly inside the ucom stack somewhere. It does connect, and you can do
anything you want to the Palm, except perform any call which reads or builds
a list of files (ReadDBList() for example). What's odd, is that this same
exact code works for Visor handhelds and some other Palm devices, and the
code works for OS4 devices connected over ppp, IrDA and serial. Some people
can list 2 files, some people can list up to 7 files, and some people can't
even list the first file. It's random, even across identical Palm devices
and identical kernels and hardware configurations.

	I'm still tracking it down, and have had a BSD user donate a mobo
and processor to me so I could run and test BSD natively (vmware isn't
enough in this case, since vmware is wed to /proc for detecting new USB
devices connecting to the bus). Unfortunately, the ATX power supply I had
went bad, so now I'm using my gf's machine when she's not on it. Not ideal.

	If anyone has a _spare_ ATX power supply they could send me, I could
speed this testing along further, and try to come up with some possible
fixes.

	Stay tuned for more details.

d.