Re: [coldsync-hackers] Re: how to dig deeper

On Thu, Nov 28, 2002, David Banning <david@skytrackercanada.com> wrote:
> Could it be that my problem is related to the udi_ which must be
> added to variable -after-  FreeBSD 4.5 but not before FreeBSD 4.5?
>
> My error is that it is not reading the port;
>
> echo pconn_libusb_open: Can't open USB device
>
> that error seems to come from ./libpconn/PConnection_libusb.c;
>
>                 usb_find_busses();
>                 usb_find_devices();
>
>                 busses = usb_get_busses();
>
>                 for (bus = busses; bus; bus = bus->next) {
>                         for (dev = bus->devices; dev; dev = dev->next)
>                         {
>                                 if (dev->descriptor.idVendor == HANDSPRING_VENDO
> R_ID &&
>                                         dev->descriptor.idProduct == 0x0100)
>                                                 break;
>
>                                 if (dev->descriptor.idVendor == PALM_VENDOR_ID)
>                                         break;
>
>                                 if (dev->descriptor.idVendor == SONY_VENDOR_ID)
>                                         break;
>

> Looking at dev->descriptor.idVendor I am just wondering if that
> should be maybe dev->descriptor.udi_idVendor
>
> I am not a programmer, so I am guessing.

No. libusb hides all of that.

Not to mention that it would cause a compile failure, not a runtime
failure.

> If I was to try and troubleshoot this, I would want to try and put
> a print statement in usb_find_devices to get more information about the
> devices it is (or is not) finding. Where is that routine?

That's in libusb. Don't modify that.

You could add a print right in this code snippet before the if
statements if you're looking for that level of information.

However, I'd check the permissions on /dev/ugen* first.

JE