Re: [coldsync-hackers] Memo categories

On Tue, 1 Oct 2002, Rich Bowen wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Sep 2002, Alex Tronin wrote:
> > Andrew A many times explained that categories shouldn't be synced, I myself
> > have opinion that AppInof block should be copied every sync.
>
> OK, I absolutely don't understand why the categories should not be
> synced.

	Because as far as I know (and a while back, I managed to convince
myself of this with a semi-formal proof), there's no way to write a
category-syncing algorithm that does the Right Thing in all cases.
	I would love to be proven wrong. If you think I am, then please
provide an algorithm. In particular, pay attention to cases like:  All
category slots are full. The category "Project" gets renamed to "Project
A" on the Palm, and renamed to "Project B" on the desktop.

	In addition, there's the problem of figuring out whether a given
database uses categories or not. As far as I know, there's no way that
ColdSync can know this without being told.

--
Andrew Arensburger                      Actually, these _do_ represent the
arensb@ooblick.com                      opinions of ooblick.com!