Re: [coldsync-hackers] Re: What goes in inetd.conf?

On Tue, 3 Sep 2002, Andrew Arensburger wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 03, 2002 at 03:48:14PM +0100, Alessandro Zummo wrote:
> >  On 03-Set-02 at 11:38:13,
> >   Rich Bowen <rbowen@rcbowen.com> wrote:
> > > Ohhhh. I see. I assumed that daemon mode meant that it would actually run
> > > as a daemon, and stay running. I misunderstood. Thanks for the tip.
>
> 	Not all daemons run all the time. 'ftpd' doesn't, for
> instance. Look at all the "nowait" daemons in /etc/inetd.conf.
>
> > I think such a feature needs to be implemented in the near future... anyone
> > volunteers for it?
>
> 	The reason I didn't do it that way in the first place is that
> a long-running daemon will inevitably leak memory; if it exits after
> syncing, at least the memory that it leaks will be reclaimed. Plus,
> there might be issues if it caches /etc/coldsync.conf or /etc/palms
> information.
> 	It's possible to avoid this by having the daemon fork() for
> new requests, and make sure that the long-running part doesn't leak
> memory or retain transient information, but I'm wondering what the
> real issue is. Was there a serious problem getting it to run from
> /etc/ttys (or /etc/inittab under SysV-derivatives)?

None at all. Just that I did not know to do that. A note in the docs to
that effect would be appreciated. All I want is to be able to sync by
pressing my sync button, and not having another step. I am fairly sure
that the /etc/inittab entry will do what I want.

--
Rich Bowen - rbowen@rcbowen.com
... and another brother out of his mind, and another brother out at New