Re: [coldsync-hackers] Perl

That's all fine and swell, RedHat is wrong, p5-Palm developpers are
wrong. However, if you install stuff in /usr/local, it won't work with
RedHat. Now, that's just about half the Linux users.

Here's proof (perl -V) :

   Compile-time options:
   Built under linux
   Compiled at Mar 23 2001 12:49:50
   @INC:
     /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.0/i386-linux
     /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.0
     /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0/i386-linux
     /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0
     /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl
     .

To me, you've got several solutions:

1) You keep installing it broken, but you warn the user. You can bitch
about RedHat in the process.

2) You install it so the software works. If someone says "you are not
following the specs", you point out that if perl was properly installed
then the software would indeed go to /usr/local. It doesn't go there
because RedHat messed up by not including /usr/local/... in @INC for its
perl packages.

Installing the software broken without any warning makes people like
come and bug you.

;-)

I'm merely asking for some warning somewhere. Am I asking too much?

I wasted time over this, I don't want other users to waste as much time.

--
Daniel Lemire, Ph.D.

http://www.ondelette.com/