Re: [coldsync-hackers] Ritual Packets and origination of long arguments

On Wednesday 06 March 2002 10:11 am, you wrote:
> 	The next question is, can you hack up a ritual exchange that
> reliably works for you? (Possibly after doing great violence to the
> code.)

Working on that now.  The Clie, it seems, will respond with an 'invalid
packet' error to an initial sysinfo request that -doesn't- include the
mystery block.

I do need some advice in regards to USBSnoopy's dumps, though.  Between every
couple of packets that I can identify as being DLP is a 6-byte packet with
what looks like a serial number (of the frame -- i.e. increases by one for
each 16 bytes of the message) and a size (which is sometimes wrong).  Is this
traffic from one of the encapsulating protocols, or is this a DLP feature?  I
haven't been able to find any obvious distinguishing features (flags set,
etc.).

> 	Can it then be fixed to work for others? If this is in fact a
> large-arguments version of DLP, can this stuff be generalized? And,
> well, further questions.

I'll go back over the list and look at dumps from other PalmOS 4 units, but I
don't have access to any locally.

This whole ritual exchange is beginning to look rather like some sort of
challenge-response, except that no challenge-response protocol in its right
mind would just reverse the byte order of the challenge and pass it back. :-)

More on this later.

-Cliff Biffle