Re: [coldsync-hackers] Variables in Coldsync.conf

On Mon, Feb 11, 2002 at 09:33:52AM -0500, Brian Johnson wrote:
> BTW - I didn't know you could run a bash script as a conduit!  You should
> put this in the docs

	Well, it's implied in the man page:

:    By itself, ColdSync is simply a fancy backup program. Conduits make it
:    more useful. A conduit is simply a program that follows a certain proto-
:    col to read or write Palm database files.

and even more strongly implied in the conduit-writer's manual:

:         A conduit is simply a program, one that follows the ColdSync conduit
: protocol (*note Specification::).

> it opens up a realm of possibilities

	Yeah, that's pretty much the point. However, what would be
really useful would be some /bin/sh (not bash-specific, if at all
possible) functions for parsing the ColdSync headers. If you want to
write some, please do.
	In addition, /bin/sh conduits are fairly limited in what they
can do. In particular, it's nigh-impossible to read a PDB file using
standard shell tools; the easiest way to do that is to use a Perl
script, in which case you might as well just write your conduit in
Perl.
	(Though, of course, if all you want to do is touch a timestamp
file, or rotate logs, or copy some files from one place to another,
then the Bourne shell is clearly up to the task.)

	As an aside, does anyone feel like writing Python or Ruby
modules? (I confess I haven't learned either one yet.)

--
Andrew Arensburger                      This message *does* represent the
arensb@ooblick.com                      views of ooblick.com