Re: [coldsync-hackers] std-categories used with memo/DATA avoidssync with PDB

On Thu, 13 Dec 2001, Ingo Oeser wrote:
> I don't know, whether this belongs here, but I noticed, that
> using std-categories[1] with memo/DATA (and possibly other
> databases) avoids the generic sync for some reason.
>
> How to reproduce:
>
>    1) Use a fetch conduit, which acts on memo/DATA, which
>       modifies the PDB on the desktop (verified with pdbdump!).
>
>    2) Use std-categories as sync conduit for memo/DATA.
>
>    3) And the generic conduit will never be run again for this PDB.
>
> Is this known? Can this be worked around?

	That's not a bug, it's a feature (TM).
	The built-in implicit config file contains

	conduit sync {
		type: */*;
		path: [generic];
		default;
	}

The generic conduit is a default conduit. Since you've defined a different
sync conduit, "[generic]" isn't run.
	You want to add

	conduit sync {
		type: memo/DATA;
		path: [generic];
	}

after the std-categories one.

> I would like to
>
>    a) Have the category changes propagated to the desktop.

	The reason 'std-categories' doesn't do this is that I don't know
how to do this correctly in all cases. But if you have a good algorithm,
please implement it.

> AND
>
>    b) Upload data from the desktop to the PDA.

	You mean, differently from what the generic conduit does? You may
need to write your own sync conduit.

--
Andrew Arensburger                      Actually, these _do_ represent the
arensb@ooblick.com                      opinions of ooblick.com!