[coldsync-hackers] palm Vx sync - serial works, usb does not

I know the obvious answer to this problem is to simply use the serial
connection, however unfortunately the palm Vx may discharge static
through the serial port, which happened to destroy my last mobo.

I can sync fine over the serial port; I am prompted "Press the Hotsync
button", I press it, and everything works fine.

However, when I connect with my palm usb-serial adapter, I am prompted
"Press the Hotsync button", I press it, however nothing happens, until
the Vx times out.

My linux kernel is 2.4.16, coldsync 2.1.3, my palm is model Vx.

I don't even know how to begin troubleshooting something like this. I'm
sorry to ask for help on this mailing list but if you have any ideas or
possible solutions, please send my way!

Thanks so much

-Jon