Re: [coldsync-hackers] Coldsync, IrDA and Mac OS X

On Sat, 17 Nov 2001, William Uther wrote:

>   i) I did not use the USB cradle (DUH).  There is no USB driver for Visor
> with MacOS X so it has no /dev entry.  (Note: I read a message from someone
> here wanting to modify coldsync to make it use IOKit.  I think a better
> solution would be to make a driver that exposed a /dev entry and leave
> coldsync alone.  I'm no expert though.)

That was me.  I've considered that route, but it's not clear to me that
IOKitUSBLib is available at the level of BSD character devices.  It is
also not at all clear that product-specific serial devices are
appropriate, and I am generally opposed to expecting users to patch
their kernel for what should be a *strictly* userland task.

My current plan, and better ideas are welcome, is to expect the device
string to be something human-readable- "Handspring Visor," "Palm,"
etc., mostly so that it acts 'similarly' to PalmDesktop.
--
 Matthew Weigel
 Research Systems Programmer