Re: [coldsync-hackers] Hotsync proxy to coldsync ...

On Sunday, November 4, 2001, at 07:30 AM, Andrew Arensburger wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 03, 2001 at 10:57:28PM -0500, Matthew C. Weigel wrote:
>>
>> I'm planning one for Cocoa/GNUstep.
>
> 	Cool! Will you be making screenshots available?

Yeah, when I get to that part :-)  My first step is to be able to
back up my Palm, since Palm's software seems to 'lose' some data.

>> The coldsync program has a number of features that wouldn't
>> translate well to a GUI, such as running from inetd
>
> 	True. OTOH, it might be nice if the GUI remained hidden until
> you synced.

If it's running from inetd, I see no reason to expect that there's
a user at the desktop - I'd just want to make sure that it, and any
local sync (command-line or GUI) went to the same place.

My point was that nothing I do will really replace the utility of
the coldsync program for some purposes; I don't want to try to
(re)write a general purpose utility. It's just to optimize the
common case.

> 	You can, of course, do things like display the current sync
> phase (install, fetch, sync, dump), the database being synced, the
> conduit currently being run, and any status messages the conduit
> may have printed. These sorts of things are good, from a UI
> perspective, since they tell the user that the program is actually
> running and doing something, not just hanging.

Yeah, and that's what Palm and Jpilot do, so it seems reasonable
enough to me. I was just saying that exactly progress bars are
inappropriate.  Progress indicators in general are Correct :)
--
  Matthew Weigel
  Research Systems Programmer