Re: [coldsync-hackers] plugins (dynamic library) and search paths.

On Thu, Aug 16, 2001 at 10:09:09PM -0700, Fred Gylys-Colwell wrote:
> > 	Sync conduits can use SPC. This is basically a DLP request with a
> > header in front.
>
> Maybe I should look at this some more.  It might be easier to make this what I
> want.  Perhaps there could be a dummy PConnection that just wraps up its DLP
> requests and sends them to coldsync?  Then I could use DlpOpenDB from
> libpconn.

	SPC is documented in the conduit info file. If you want to
write your conduit in Perl, the ColdSync.pm module parses arguments
and sets up a bunch of stuff for you.
	If you want to write it in C or C++, there isn't any such
support. It should be relatively straightforward, though, if you're
not doing anything fancy.
	Basically, your conduit will be given a line on stdin that
says
	SPCPipe: 6
which means that if you write a SPC packet on file descriptor 6, it'll
be forwarded to the Palm, and you'll get a response back on the same
file descriptor.

	And yes, I agree that the simplest thing to do is probably
just to adapt libpconn: add an SPC listen type. It should be fairly
easy: just slap a header onto the DLP request when writing, and strip
it off when reading. See "libpconn/PConnection_net.c" to see how it
does it.
	In the latest snapshot, libpconn and libpdb are standalone
libraries. "make install" doesn't install them, but you can either
install them manually or work around this. If you want to install
them, you'll want to just copy everything in "include" to
/usr/local/include, so that you wind up with /usr/local/include/palm.h
and /usr/local/include/pconn/PConnection.h . If you want to mung the
Makefiles to do this, be my guest; the reason I haven't done this is
that right now I'm (gasp!) writing the man pages.

	In case anyone cares: eventually, if possible, I'd like to
have a libpconn compatibility library with the same API as pilot-link.
Unless I missed something, libpconn is better at some things than
pilot-link is (e.g., USB devices under FreeBSD). Having a
compatibility layer would provide the glue between libpconn and the
plethora of applications that use pilot-link, like KPilot.

--
Andrew Arensburger                      This message *does* represent the
arensb@ooblick.com                      views of ooblick.com