Re: [coldsync-hackers] Delete Database in a Conduit?

On Mon, Jul 23, 2001 at 02:29:22PM +0200, Ingo Oeser wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 22, 2001 at 05:46:39AM -0400, Andrew Arensburger wrote:
> > On Sun, Jul 22, 2001 at 11:30:05AM +0200, Ingo Oeser wrote:
> > > is there any possibility to delete a database in a conduit?
> >
> > 	Yes, but you'll need to do this in a Sync conduit. Plus,
> > ColdSync/SPC.pm doesn't have a function for the DlpDeleteDB command,
> > so you'll need to add that yourself.
>
> Wouldn't it be more clean to add a new flavor "delete", which
> deletes a database on the palm, once we return the "Ok"
> equivalent for coldsync conduits?

	Hurm. I think the case where you want to delete a database is
sufficiently rare that it's not worth adding a whole new conduit
flavor for it.

> Rationale:
>    - For some databases you will always force a "Desktop replaces
>      Palm Copy" or even delete if, once the desktop decides that
>      the Palm does not need it anymore[1].

	The obvious way to do this is with a Fetch conduit: decide
which records ought to exist today, and mark all the others as
deleted.

	Another possibility that's been bouncing around the back of my
head since the beginning is that of having a ~/.palm/commands file: if
this file exists, then ColdSync will execute the commands in it.
Otherwise, it'll default to running a normal sync.

--
Andrew Arensburger                      This message *does* represent the
arensb@ooblick.com                      views of ooblick.com