[coldsync-hackers] Regression testing / scripting POSE

Hello all.

I dont know if this has been discussed, but I thought you might be
interested in the scripting capabilities of POSE for testing coldsync.  I
only recently came across this, and have found no reference to it on the
net, but there are a set of libraries in the Scripting/ directory of the
latest POSE that let you run arbitrary commands via RPC, including enough
support to start a serial sync or a network sync.

I was also wondering if anyone can recommend a reference for the HotSync
protocol (DLP and below).  I'm unsure about how the SLP XID and
fragmentation in PADP tie together, and how error handling should be
implemented.  libpalm.texi covers some of this, but not the interesting
parts :)

This is what I currently understand:
1.  All ACKs to the fragments contain the XID of the first fragment, and
not the XID of the just sent fragment.  Does this mean that all fragments
should have the same XID? (Seems silly)
2.  Retransmission should occur after 2s.  According to Kevin Flynn in
"UNIX and Pilots part IV: The PADP Layer" [Handheld Systems 5.4 1997], its
quite random.  Basically:
    a.  Losing a packet or ack during the middle of transmission (ie LAST
is not set) means a retransmit and an ACK from the Pilot.
    b.  Losing the ACK to the last fragment (LAST set) means that the
starting fragment of the response should be treated as the ACK.  The other
end should not ACK a duplicate last fragment.

-- Michael Hope

-- Michael