Re: [coldsync-hackers] coldsync 1.5.3 nov 27 snapshot

On Wed, Nov 29, 2000 at 08:57:24PM -0500, Ryan VanderBijl wrote:
> Well, thank you kindly for getting that fixed. :-)
>
> However, i've noticed another problem: USB is going really really slow.

<lots of stuff about switching the baud rate snipped>

You can't change the baud rate for the USB Visor link.  It doesn't
matter what you set the baud rate for, it just goes as fast as it
possibly can.

If you want, the driver can spit out timing numbers (about how many
bytes it transfered) and you can use that to see what the real speed is.

Last time I checked, for UHCI I got the following numbers:
	bytes in:	1223529
	bytes out:	 123661
	time:		1:41.66

OHCI should be a lot faster.

The big time sink is the Visor itself.  It takes large amounts of time
to get the data and turn it around for the host (large being a relative
term.)

Also make sure that you don't have debugging turned on for the Visor
driver.  If you do, that spits all the data to the syslog, which is a
_huge_ time sink (just watch that disk spin as the data is flushed out
every line...)

I'd be interested in your timing numbers if they differ wildly from
mine.

But this conversation is probably better off on the Visor mailing list,
and not here, sorry.

greg k-h

--
greg@(kroah|wirex).com