Re: [coldsync-hackers] owner string

On Tue, 24 Oct 2000, Tom Holroyd wrote:
> Unfortunately it reset the Visor's nickname so the next time I did a
> HotSync on the Windows box it created a new user and I managed somehow to
> get it to sync with an empty database, zeroing out the Visor.  Fortunately
> I still have everything on the laptop...
>
> If there is no "pda" entry in the .coldsyncrc, maybe it would be a good
> idea to honor the PDA's nickname & userid instead of resetting it with the
> Unix userid?

	That might be a good idea. I'm not sure yet, because I want to
think through the implications that this might have for the
as-yet-unimplemented daemon mode (basically, ColdSync will listen for a
connection, then setuid() to the appropriate user, and sync. The username
and userid will have to play some part in figuring out which one is the
"appropriate user").
	On the face of it, this does seem like a sensible idea. I'm also
planning on adding an "init mode", required to initialize the Palm before
you can sync it; if ColdSync runs across a Palm with a userid of 0, or an
unknown userid, it'll do nothing. This may seem like a pain, but it should
help in cases like yours, or the Bargle bug.

> I tried creating a username with a user id of '1' but it showed up on the
> Windows box as a duplicate user.  (How did it know it wasn't the same?
> The userid?)

	Most likely, yes.

> The old nickname seems to be stored in Unsaved Preferences.prc,
> perhaps I could extract it somehow and put that info into the .coldsyncrc
> file?  Where is the userid?

	Hm. I'm not sure where it's stored in the "Unsaved
Preferences" database, but here's something you can do:

	- mkdir /tmp/foo
	- cp ~/.palm/backup/"Unsaved Preferences.prc" /tmp/foo
	- coldsync -r /tmp/foo
	  (this will install the "Unsaved Preferences.prc" file on the
	  Visor, without disturbing anything else).
	- Sync with debugging turned on:
		script /tmp/coldsync.out
		% coldsync -d misc:3
	- Near the beginning, ColdSync will read the existing username and
	  userid on the Visor, and will print their values.
	- Add these values to the appropriate PDA block in your
	  .coldsyncrc .

Yes, this is a rather gross hack. You can also comment out the call to
UpdateUserInfo() in src/coldsync.c .

--
Andrew Arensburger                      This message *does* represent the
arensb@ooblick.com			views of ooblick.com